Homecoming Mums: A Lone Star Rooted Tradition

Alex Nguyen and other Floral Design students working on Homecoming Mums.

Maya Gasca

Despite all the bad during this year, students are staying optimistic for the upcoming Homecoming seasonAnd even if the school might not have a Homecoming dance, there is one tradition students are looking forward to continuing, which is the making and wearing of mums. 

During Homecoming season, these flashy assortments of ribbons, bells, and other eye-catching accessories, have tended to spark different feelings in students. While many upperclassmen spend days or even weeks trying to make or buy the perfect mum for Homecoming day, freshmen new to high school are curious and intrigued by these creations that students wear around their neck or shoulders. But what neither classes really know is that this tradition is only in the state of Texas. 

“In my freshmen year, I was astonished by the Homecoming mums others carried,” sophomore Abril Romero said. “To know they were only a Texas thing makes them even more unique.” 

This tradition within the Lone Star State began in the 1950s, where a chrysanthemum flower was given to a girl in honor of the Homecoming game and festivities. This adornment soon evolved as ribbons and streamers were added to these flowers grown during the Homecoming season. Eventually, these flowers were replaced by artificial flowers as they continued to grow, in both popularity and in size, with even more ribbons, more streamers, and more accessories, like bells and lights. 

It’s fun learning how to make the mums with different braids,” junior Alex Nguyen said. “I am making two for others, and I’d like to put one led lights on one.” 

Now in the present day, mums have become quite the standout during the autumn season, from the many local businesses willing to make these adornments to the many families going to craft stores to buy all the materials they need to make the mums themselves. And even with the current circumstances for this season’s Homecoming, students are still trying to maintain this joyful tradition in any way they can, including in Mr. Croft’s Floral Design class, where students are currently working on making them for other students. 

“It has been interesting to know what goes into creating the mums,” sophomore Abril Romero said. “We made them for others, and hope they love it as much as I had fun making it.”