For The Love of Football

Senior Ja’kques Goff at the Saginaw Pep Rally (Cederick Kassi)

Cedrick Kassi, Writer/Photographer

After an eleven-month hiatus from playing football, seniors Ja’Kques Goff and Deshawn Tiliaia are ready and excited to be on the field again.

Friday, Sept. 25 was the first varsity game against Fort Worth’s Southwest High School. Games had been delayed due to the Covid-19 pandemic. It is been a long time since Goff and his team have been on the field. Their last game was in November 2019.

Senior Ja’kques Goff in game against Frisco Heritage High School Oct. 2. (Cedrick Kassi )

“It feels good to be back again because our last game was back in November when we lost to Birdville High School, it been a long time, but since it is my senior year I am going give it my all until we can’t play no more,” Goff said.

Although there were some mistakes Goff feels that this week will be an improvement.

“There’s a lot of things we didn’t do right,” Goff said. “We didn’t come out with a lot of energy, we didn’t line up fast enough, we missed tackles… there’s a lot to fix he chuckles but if we play hard, fast, smart, and give our all at practice.”

Goff and Tiliaia are starters for the varsity team and have played all 4 years of high school. Tiliaia came from another school district but was relieved when they hit the field.

“We didn’t capitalize from the mistake,” Tiliaia said. “Instead, they capitalized from our mistake. That is something we need to fix.”