Isolation and Job Loss Lead to Mental Health Issues

Aidan Roof-pexels

Brandon Holt, Contributor

Student suicide rates are on the rise in high schools in the time of this pandemic, as many students are unable to receive the emotional help they need, their mental health is deteriorating rapidly.

About 60 percent of students say that the pandemic has made it harder to access mental health care such as counseling. As a result, depression among students has increased up to 8.6 percent since last fall.

“I have not visited the counselor as often as I used to since the pandemic,” states Saginaw High School sophomore, Elizabeth Fontano, “I feel as if I have many more emotional questions unanswered than I used to.”

Student’s with harsh financial situations have also been greatly affected by quarantine. The minimum opportunity for making money and many parents losing their jobs has resulted in great emotional retrogression for some students.

“School closures and social isolation have affected all students,” States author Youki Terada, writer for Edutopia, a news sight for education, “but particularly those living in poverty.”

Students, however, are not only worried about their own health, but are worried more for the people they are close too. Many parents are more susceptible to complications and death from contracting COVID-19.

“About a quarter of students – 28.8 percent – say that they are ‘very’ or ‘extremely’ concerned about contracting the virus,” Claims author Elizabeth Redden, writer for Inside Higher ED, a news and advice page for college students and staff, “while 64.4 percent say they are ‘very’ or ‘extremely’ concerned about parents or family ocontracting COVID-19”

Student depression has since shown rapid signs of increase and no signs of stopping. More and more students are committing suicide to the point that it has been the 2nd leading cause of death for college students in the United States. According to a CDC survey, this past June, a quarter of college students said that they had seriously considered suicide that month.