Saginaw Takes COVID-19 Through the Woods

Ms. Dale

Hannah Gode, Contributor

The live entertainment industry has been dormant since March due to the coronavirus pandemic. The fall musical, Into the Woods by Stephen Sondheim, will put an end to the drought in entertainment at the school with a tentative opening night of Dec. 10.

After a round of virtual auditions, rehearsals began Sept. 8. Actors are required to wear masks and face shields at all times, which is not without its challenges. Junior Abigaile Webb will play the role of Jack in the musical, and she weighed in on some of the most difficult parts of performing.

“Projecting and breathing [are hard],” she said. ”It’s so confined. You get tired really quickly.”

Though the theatre department is hopeful they will perform in December, Doctor Anthony Fauci of Playbill says Broadway theaters might reopen at “the end of 2021, maybe even the middle of 2021.” If the musical can’t come to fruition, the cancellation would be old news to those who competed in the University Interscholastic League One Act Play contest on March 6, the unofficial last day of the 2019-2020 school year.

“I was so sad [when the contest was cancelled],” sophomore Michelle Moore said. “I was heartbroken, because we’ve all worked so hard on that show, and we advanced, and it was just stripped away from us.”