Set the stage, little redhead

Theatre performs iconic musical Annie

Kayla Smith

Daddy Warbucks and Annie join together to perform

Kayla, Writer

The fine arts theatre program presented their production of the classic 1982 dramedy film, Annie. Based on the “Little Orphan Annie”, this play has brought the lovely redhead to life. Starring senior Calysta Kemp as Annie, the play begins with the band and choir in a harmonizing song to introduce the first few scenes. The performance was stable and balanced with the help of the orchestra and talented singers.

The work of the production was created with the intentions to emulate the original movie, down to the costumes, lighting, sets, writing, and music. The production team did an outstanding job in directing, designing, and orchestrating the play. The lighting fit the scenes appropriately while the set designs and props not only were reminiscent of the 80s, but also added to the overall atmosphere of each spectacle. Kemp’s embodiment of Annie was spot on; her performance was convincing of what the character’s attitude and personality. She encapsulated Annie’s red hair and bubbly attitude, using her movements and expressions to her advantage to further become this character. 

For a high school production, the theatre program had high anticipation for their take on “Annie”, and they delivered. Throughout the musical, the variety of characters were often played by the same person. Even though many of the cast played more than one role, each one did their part to make their characters unique, presenting to the audience their range in acting and singing potential. Senior Grant Taylor, played Cordell Hull as well as Mr. Bundles and played both characters successfully. They performed to the best of their abilities to express the story of “Annie”. What they lacked in vocals, they made up in theatrics. The group who played the orphan girls did a fantastic job when singing. As a group, their voices melded into one, and individually, their voices stood out as they were stable and powerful. Junior Ella Pyfer who played Ms. Hannigan, not only delivered her lines just as Ms. Hannigan did in the movie, she sang her lines powerfully, expressing Ms. Hannigan’s hatred for the orphan girls and her sad loveless life. Seniors Brayden Minks and Rachel Gibson played Rooster Hannigan and Lily St. Regis and both played their characters well. Their movements and dialogue fit their characters and their take on the antagonists’ attitudes was very entertaining. 

The best part of the play was the cute dog who played Sandy. In later performances, some of the audience commented that the dog seemed a bit tense, however, in the performance I saw, the dog was well behaved and seemed to play his role like his human co-stars. 

Theatre really went off when producing this play. The band did a fantastic job, setting the tone of each scene. The scenes and props were reminiscent of the 80s, and did well to bring forth that time period and setting of New York. The best part of the play, however, were the cast who brought their characters to life. Though not perfect, the musical definitely exceeded expectations for being a school production.