Football team steals The Wheel from Boswell

Back to Article
Back to Article

Football team poses with The Wheel after their big win against Boswell on Oct. 4, 2019.

Jacob Estes

Jacob Estes

Jacob Estes

Alli Exley, Staff Writer

The stands were packed, as expected from a rival game. Fans from both schools flooded the entirety of Rough Rider Stadium. Chants and screams from the home side stands grew louder as the fourth quarter came to a close, begging the football team to come back and score another touchdown, putting them ahead of Boswell. Finally, time slows as senior quarterback Kameron Williams passes the ball to senior Mike Jones, who carries it across the end zone with almost three minutes left in the game. While the other side accepts defeat, the cheers only grow louder and one thing can be heard all around: “I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!” 

The football team won the ‘Battle of the Wagon Wheel’ against Boswell for the first time since 2007. This bumped the team’s season record up to 5-1. 

“Even though it was my first time playing against Boswell, I still felt that energy and hype to get the chance to win the wheel back after 12 years,” senior Antoni Chambers said. 

The defense slowed down the high-powered offense of Boswell. Senior Demitri Williams led the defense during the game with a total of 16 tackles, 3 pass breakups, an interception, and a fumble recovery. 

“Winning at least one or two games in the playoffs is a big goal for me. I work hard in practice, watch film, and try to put myself in the best position to win the game,” D. Williams said. 

The offense was led by K. Williams, who rushed for 194 yards and passed a total of 141 yards. 

“I thrive under pressure,” K. Williams said. “I like to be under pressure. I like being down by 3 with 2 minutes left. I like those moments; that’s when the big time players come to play.”

The Riders put up 21 points, while Boswell put up 20. At the end of the game, ‘the wheel’ was passed over in victory. The team held it up as one while they ran in front of the student section, shouting with pride. 

“We never gave up,” Chambers said. “Despite the mistakes we made during that game, we never gave up, and we kept the same attitude throughout the game. I really think that was a big part of our win.”