Football holds onto perfect record

Back to Article
Back to Article

Football holds onto perfect record

Elsa Estrada

Elsa Estrada

Elsa Estrada

Alli Exley, Staff Writer

Friday night lights are always a defining moment of the fall. Painting on faces, confetti poppers, and the high energy of the student section are all defining moments that make Friday night football games special. This year, the team has put their best effort in and come back better than ever. 

The football team traveled to Haltom High on Aug. 30 for the first game of the 2019 season. They avenged last year’s defeat by the Haltom Buffalos with a comeback win. 

“The opening kickoff of the second half [was a defining moment],” head athletic coach Dane Johnson said. “We took it right down and scored. That moment, to me, set the tone and captured the momentum to win that game.”

Saginaw High School was voted DFW football team of the week after its upset win vs. Haltom.

”It shows people outside of here have noticed how hard these kids have worked and they deserve it,” Johnson said. “It’s great to get any recognition you can for your players.” 

The team hosted the Wichita Falls Coyotes on Sept. 6 for the first home game of the season. Using their home field advantage, they defeated the Coyotes with a final score of 41-31. 

“Overall, there’s not a lot of changes, because if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” Johnson said.

The team traveled to South Hills Sept. 13 for their first district game of the 2019 season. The offense scored a total of 33 unanswered points in the first half, leading to a final score of 33-14. 

“I view coaching as more of a lifestyle than a job,” Johnson said. “I consider and run this thing and the players more like family and my kids than just players. It means a lot more to me than just the wins and losses.”

The team is at a 3-0 record for the season so far, and they hope to keep that streak going. Their next game is Friday against Arlington Heights at 7:00 p.m. in Rough Rider Stadium.