FFA Student Advances to State

Back to Article
Back to Article

FFA Student Advances to State

Megan Barrett, Staff Writer

After scoring a second place spot in the Area V Leadership Development Contest in the Greenhand Creed Speaking portion on Nov. 14, freshman Madison Wimbish was eligible to advance to the Texas Future Farmers Association (FFA) State Contest. There, Wimbish qualified for the semifinals out of more than 580 entries, and she moved on to gain the title of first place.

For Creed Speaking, students must recite the FFA Creed from memory. Afterwards, they are asked a series of questions based off its meaning and purpose. Judges critique the students for their public speaking abilities and passion while presenting.

Making it to state was a big accomplishment, and I’m very blessed for everyone that helped me get there,” Wimbish said. “State is pretty big, and I was a little nervous, but I have three more years to do this, and I know that each year, I’m going to come back and try my best again.”

The purpose of the Greenhand Creed Speaking contest is to help develop the speaking abilities of young FFA members and to help preserve the heritage of the FFA values through competitive performance. Through the contest, ninth graders are given the chance to develop their speaking career and to dive into the history of the FFA organization, including a deeper understanding of agriculture in America.

“I grew up living in Granbury. We had a farm. We had cattle, and a lot of people don’t grow up like that,” Wimbish said. “People don’t understand how farming affects our future. That’s where I come in with FFA, that I am a representative, and I show other people in this city high school, ‘Hey, this what FFA is going to do for the future.’”